Saturday, April 04, 2009

Quitting Smoking!!

I have smoked most of my adult life. My parents were smokers, my sisters smoked, almost everyone I knew while I was growing up smoked. Everyone it seemed smoked, it was the grown-up thing to do! Back then, the '60s, information was just starting to come out about the dangers of smoking.
In 1969, at the age of 13, I smoked my first cigarette. My older sister gave it to me, probably to laugh at me choking on it. And yes I coughed and choked, but I wanted to look "grown up" to my sisters so I finished it. After that I would sneak one every once in a while. Usually it was one I stole from my Mom, a charcoal filtered Tareyton. By the time I was 17 I was hooked. I started buying my own, from the vending machine at Sears where I worked. I smoked Marlboros, red box. Much cooler than my Mom's smokes!
When I got married, I quit smoking. And gained weight, had 2 children, and gained more weight. Convinced my husband that smoking would help me lose weight. So after 6 years I started smoking again. And for the next 35 years I followed a pattern of smoking and quitting.
Until now. I am starting Chantix tomorrow and my quit date is 4/12/09. I want to be done with cigarettes for good. I don't like how they taste anymore, and I don't like how they make me feel. This will be my chronicle of my journey on the path to becomming a non-smoker.

No comments: